Food for Thought


---------------------------------------------------------------
It is better to trust and be disappointed once in awhile than to distrust and be miserable all of the time.

-Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Emily Birthday and Misc

Wednesday we went to Emily's folks house to celebrate her 29th birthday. Here are some pics!
Em's comments are in red:



I tried to get this rotated, but I really didn't try very hard. In case you were wondering, it was a double layered white cake with raspberry filling and whipped frosting...her favorite. It says "Happy Birthday Mommy", it was obviously from Seth.



I know that Emily hates this picture but I love it. Emily had a baby 16 days ago and looks amazing! I am the luckiest guy in the world to be with her. She is mildly lucky to be with me, but I definitely married up!
I feel like such a fatty in all my pictures. I have tried to get out and exercise but that put me in the Emergency Room last week so Clint is being a little protective about how much physical activity I do for the next few weeks. Hopefully my face and stomach slim down soon.


Another case of me being unable to smile.


Grandma and Seth.....that bottle was meant to be delivered by me but was afraid to try and take it from Lisa. Never get between a grandmother and her grandchild. On the plus side, I was able to raid her pantry while she was preoccupied, too bad the only decent thing was some granola bars.
Can I tell you how great it is that Seth is taking a bottle already? I've been getting a little restless in the house and it was hard to get out when I have to feed Seth every 2-3 hours. With the bottle, we have a little more freedom to go places. Even a quick trip to Walmart or Target is so nice for me!

Emily in the pre-candle blowing position. She has failed the last 4 years in her attempt to blow out the candles in a single breath. Yes, I keep track. No, I am not normal.


This picture was actually prior to the one above, but I was too lazy to move it. Notice the spinning lighter directly above the cake, apparently David was proud of his ability to light all the candles. The lighter spin is a well known act of pride at a job well done.


Another Grandma picture. Seth's eyes open, Lisa's eyes closed.


What you talkin' bout, fool?
I love when Seth stares so intently at someone/something that he goes sorta cross eyed!

That's right, our baby sometimes sleeps topless. Got a problem with that?
The temperature in our house is SO hard to regulate! Poor little buddy wakes up sweating some nights. I'm always whipping out the thermometer to make sure he isn't running a fever!
Yes, I'm super paranoid!



We honestly try to bind his hand to his side but he throws a fit until he works it free. This is his favorite blanket. Why? Because we always use it.


Family shot. Emily, David, Lisa, Seth, Chloe (Dog) and Kaylyn (midget). Kaylyn is actually normal height for a girl but I love teasing her. She actually doesn't sit at a chair when we eat at the table, she just stands and is the perfect height.


Seth helping daddy draft some emails. He helped me keep my tone positive and appropriate. I blame any grammatical errors on him though.


I call this "The turtle". He honestly hates his car seat, but probably not as much as I do. As soon as we arrive at our stop, I always jump right out and make sure he is okay. I need to invest in the little mirror you hang on your back window to see into the car seat. I am a worrier.
What Clint didn't clarify above is that Seth's head is still so wobbly that we find his head flopped over to one side or kinked all weird when we get him out of his car seat. We have to find some way of keeping his head in a fixed position but the little head rest in his car seat is still a little too big for him. He takes after his mom, he has a small head.

Seth really enjoys looking out of one eye. Is it tiredness, laziness or is he just messing with us? It is good to know what he will look like if he were to smoke weed though. We can use this as a reference later in life if we ever have suspicions.
When he hunches his back and grunts along with closing one eye, we call him Quasimodo.

This is another one of my office co-workers. I have no idea how this position is comfortable, but Tess enjoyed it. Our poor dogs have gotten no attention since Seth arrived but they have handled it wonderfully. I think Tess is unsure how to handle someone smaller than her.

It is quite funny to see how the dogs are reacting to Seth. When Seth is screaming they get so anxious. They don't know what to do. It is amazing how gentle they are with him. It's like they know that he is still fragile.

Sleeping Seth. My dude.

We are trying to get Seth to sleep on his right side a little bit more because our pediatrician said that if we don't get him to rotate sides, he will have a lop-sided head. Clint masterfully turned his head during this little nap. Thanks Daddy for doing your part to make me look normal!


Hiccups! Seth had them daily while I was pregnant and is not giving them up now.

5 comments:

fauxy said...

Looks like you're having so much fun with your new little one! And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EM! Little Seth is too cute and I love his little eyes. It's amazing how much he looks like his mom AND his dad!! And the ER, seriously? Little by little your stomach will go down along with everything else. I didn't believe it would either, but really, it does... patience, my friend!

Marcus and Amy said...

Happy Birthday! He is really a stud guys, so super cute!

Don't worry about loosing the weight Emily, I will come off and you look great for 16 days out!

I agree with you about getting out too. I think that is what contributed to my baby blues, it was winter and I was holed up in the house, afraid to take Addie out for fear she would get hungry and I would need to whip out the "hooter hider" (I hated nursing in public) and fear that she would get RSV! So awesome that he takes a bottle and you can get out a little!

And you guys are lucky that he doesn't have to sleep all tightly bunddled cause then you wont have to wean him of that later when he starts to turn over on his own. Trust me...that was the worst thing to go through with Addie!

You guys are doing great - you can never stress and worry too much, you are just looking out for him! He is a lucky guy to have such great parents!

Also, I don't know if Gerber has pot roast and potatos. I know they have turkey and gravy. But honestly, I would think the real thing tasted better, and she didn't seem to mind! :) It went straight to her thighs! And thats what we want - small little thing that she is!

lauracritchfield said...

Emily - Roll up a thin blanket and make a U shape and put it around Seth's head - like upside down...I can't explain it - but anyway it will stop his head from moving around in the car seat.. Just make sure that it's not anywhere near his face - so do it tightly...that's my advice.

Ken, Serena and Emilia said...

Seth is so cute!! I love the hiccups - and, yes, Clint, he does sound like a chew toy! :) Happy Happy Birthday, Em! You are so beautiful and you just keep taking it easy! I know you go stir-crazy, but give yourself the time to heal now so that you can get back to your crazy pace soon. You'll be working off that belly in no time. :)

Natalie Sue said...

Hi! I decided to visit your blog, duh, and find cute pictures! How fun to read about little Seth. And yeah, I would roll a blanket up to put around my babies heads. Or even a burpcloth, so it's not huge.
And don't worry about the weight! It took you 9 months to grow a baby, it doesn't come off in a month. Give it a few months. It will come off with time and it's healthy that way. You're so gorgeous anyway!
If you are into reading books like Baby Wise, there is also another good one called Baby Whisperer. I kinda read Baby Wise first, then I did Baby Whisperer. But every baby and mom are different, so you have to find what works for you. Not like you were asking, I just remember going through all of that. Oh.. the first baby is SO hard.It's a lot of work and so time consuming! Good luck with everything. He's soooo adorable!!!! Glad you are doing well!