Food for Thought


---------------------------------------------------------------
It is better to trust and be disappointed once in awhile than to distrust and be miserable all of the time.

-Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This Baby Thing is HARD!

Well folks, I'd like you all to know that, probably to the dismay of my husband, I have forfeited taking a shower to post a blog instead. Yes, I know. That is gross. Be thankful that you can just read about my life instead of sitting near me and listening to me talk about it.
All I can say is...how the heck do the rest of you with children find the time to blog at all??? You must all be masterful mothers or I am just REALLY bad at this whole parenting thing! I barely find the time to empty the dishwasher or pay a bill before it's time for the next feeding for my little guy!
Don't get me wrong! I'm totally up for the challenge, but DANG! this baby thing is hard!
To those of you who want to know, I seriously had a nice, smooth delivery. Not kidding. My contractions were so manageable up until I was dilated to a 5+. At that point the nurse asked if I wanted an epidural. Hmmmm...Let's see...Continue to feel contractions? Or feel nothing from the waist down? I think I'll take your heavy duty drugs please. I wasn't in dire need of them by that point, but why be in pain when you don't have to be???
So, I sat in bed, pain-free, for five hours and watched the World Cup with my husband. (Which I have to admit, is not nearly as boring as I used to believe it to be.) Then my nurse came in, confirmed I was fully dilated, and helped me do a "practice push." The nurse had originally told me that first-time moms generally push for 2 hours or so. So when I did that first practice push she was quite alarmed to see that my baby was pretty much ready to come out. What my husband failed to mention in a previous blog is that he had insisted that he would be by my shoulder the entire time and was not planning to even take a peek "down there" for fear of being grossed out for the rest of his life. When I did that first practice push, the nurse said, "Clint, look. You can see the top of his head already." And Clint looked! And he looked at me and he had the most excited expression on his face. The fact that he didn't pass out or vomit on the floor surprised me and I got so emotional that I started crying. Which triggered my nurse to start crying as well. It was quite the scene! My doctor arrived ten minutes later and three contractions later, Seth was here. I think I pushed for a total of ten minutes.
My recovery, on the other hand, was not smooth sailing. I was feeling so good and desperately wanted to get back in shape so I took a short jog a week after my delivery...ended up in the emergency room the next morning. Clint has watched me like a hawk since and won't let me do anything too terribly strenuous. But I do get a good walk in every day.
And a few days after Seth was born he got thrush. So we had to get an antibiotic to treat it. Things were looking good but just last week his thrush resurfaced again. So I was back at the pharmacy today getting him a new anti-fungal medicine. So not fun! Poor kid!
Also, I have been reading the Baby Wise book and am on my 2nd day of establishing a routine for Seth. Yesterday was rather difficult. I had been feeding him until he fell asleep and then would put him in his bassinet but the book suggests that he have wake time after his feeding and that you put him down for a nap while he is still awake so he learns to soothe himself to sleep.
Yeah...that didn't go so well yesterday. Today, however, is going a little bit better. I did cheat and gave him a pacifier a few minutes ago as he went down for this nap. I know! I know! Bad habit. I'll work on that! But at least he didn't cry for 40 minutes like he did last night.
Finally, what's a blog without a picture? I went to a maternity store a few days ago to get some things and found this nice nursing nightgown. I didn't need it but it came with this adorable little matching sleeper and night cap for Seth. As soon as I saw that, I had to buy it! He looks like Snow White's missing 8th dwarf! Damn you, Motherhood Maternity! So not fair to trick mothers into buying outfits they don't need just because a cute matching baby outfit is attached to it! Oh, and by the way...if any of you are wondering...the night gown I bought is just knee-length and gray. It does NOT have a hippo on it like Seth's sleeper does. What formerly pregnant woman in her right mind would wear an outfit with a hippo on it. I mean, really...


2 comments:

Marcus and Amy said...

I am so jealous that you had an easy delivery. I am jealous everytime I hear that someone does. I wish I could have only pushed for 10 min....versus 3 1/2 hours, only to rupture my uterus and have a C section! But oh how they are worth it! I am glad yours went so well though, I would never wish a hard delivery on anyone.

And yes motherhood is hard but very rewarding! And your baby never "falls" into what a book says. Every baby is differnt, so if something works for Seth and a book advises against it...don't worry!

Again, he is super cute! And I end up buying outfits all the time for Addie even though she doesn't need them!

fauxy said...

I remember not having time to even brush my teeth! Very soon Seth will get much easier and take longer, fewer naps. A little bouncy seat really helped us and I put Ruby in it wherever I am!

BTW I hate Baby Wise. I read it too and felt guilty when Ruby didn't "fit the mold" but take it for what it's worth as some things are healthy. Best advice is to put them down for naps/sleep time awake, but tired. Ruby uses a binky sometimes to fall asleep, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I also nurse her to sleep occasionally if she happens to be hungry and sleepy at the same time. Just don't let them suck for too long and use you as a pacifier! I'm just getting over new blisters - ouchie!

Remember this, babies constantly get easier and more fun so try your best to enjoy the ride!