Food for Thought


---------------------------------------------------------------
It is better to trust and be disappointed once in awhile than to distrust and be miserable all of the time.

-Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cunninghams: Revenge of the Birth Canal

The biggest events in life cannot be fully understood without personal experience. No matter how much you discuss the topic, imagine the topic or google the topic you are never truly prepared for the event when it happens.

This is especially true with childbirth. My experiences with Seth and Sloane's births were completely different but in memorable ways. With Seth I felt like my head was in a cloud and I was always 2 steps behind. That lasted......well...I will let you when it finally stops. During that first childbirth I ended up ignoring Emily's request for breathing help and instead decided to just do the breathing and pushing myself....it made sense at the time. When the doctor prodded me to the south end of the bed I became scarred for life. On top of the weird doctor making a Mohawk out of Seth's hair, I had NO idea how rough doctors are with babies.

That rough experience (as rough as witnessing the delivery can be compared to actually pushing the baby out) gave me a fantastic starting point for what to expect for Sloane. While I still screwed up the breathing, I was able to watch the entire process without freaking out. It was honestly one of the most amazing things I have ever been a part of....but only because I had a reference point.

I know Emily felt much more relaxed about this delivery as well. While last time we were trying to avoid panic the entire time, this time we were both answering work emails up until the actual delivery time. Don't believe me? Here is the proof.



Emily was either doing work emails OR shopping for her post-baby clothes.

After Sloane was freed from her little prison, the nurse roughly cleaned her off and did all the weird post-birth stuff that apparently is required in order for the child to later lead a normal, productive life in society. We were not thrilled with her apparent attempt to scrub a layer of skin off of Sloane but Emily's epidural prevented her from inflicting any physical harm on the nurse.


What do you mean I can't go back in?
After the newborn version of the NFL combine was completed (random tests/measurements), Emily got to finally hold Sloane and see what had been kicking her ribs for the last few months. Here is a link for those that have no idea what the NFL combine is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_combine.


Either she is kissing Sloane or she has fallen asleep while holding her.
I originally had some serious hesitations about having a girl until I met her. She was perfect..... until I changed the fricking tar diaper again. Girls have so many more places to hide poop, it is ridiculous. It is like they have built in smuggler's hatches. I need to invest in a spray bottle for diaper changes. Luckily for Sloane she looked really cute swaddled up so I could forgive the diaper issues.


Our little Conehead.

Once we knew that Sloane was healthy, we started eyeing the clock. Prior to our visit, "we" had set a goal of getting out of the hospital after only 24 hours. In truth Emily had set the goal and I was too afraid of her super-human-hormonal-pregnant-woman strength to disagree.

To help us prepare, we tricked my sister into taking Tess. We figure we would trade one loud little package for another.

Here is an assortment of pictures with my commentary. For the 1 of you who read this blog, enjoy.

When she was pressed against the Utah Logo, she felt truly loved.

 
My favorite part of this picture is that Seth is in mismatched pajamas.
That is the ultimate proof that Emily was exhausted.

Sloane and Aunt Char. I think Char was seeing if Sloane had enough hair to color it.


Her cheeks have chubbified since then. My little chub-a-lub.

This screams "hug me!" and
"I have given up, I have no control over my own life."

My mom introducing Sloane to Seth for the first time. I was the cameraman, that is why Seth looks so weird.

I just want to point out that Sloane has more hair on the top of her head than my dad does.

I think Lisa startled Sloane so Sloane played dead.


She looks exactly like Seth did at that age...well...from the waist up.


Seth looks like an Angel, but only because his face is so ridiculously white.
Emily already posted this picture but she wasn't kidding when she said that I hated this pose.
I don't trust Seth with anything sharp, why would I want him holding my 4 day old child?
I think I had to leave the room for part of this photo shoot to avoid freaking out.

Sloane, Seth and my shoe bonding.
Sloane's first bath. I wanted no part in this so I left after the picture.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Am I the one person that read this? Very cute Clint. You have such a beautiful family!