Food for Thought


---------------------------------------------------------------
It is better to trust and be disappointed once in awhile than to distrust and be miserable all of the time.

-Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Long-time Goal Accomplished!

Some of you may know that I have been working in the Human Resources profession for awhile. I debated telling the whole long story of how I ended up in HR in the first place but decided it wasn't all that interesting to anyone but me. Long story short...a job that was haphazardly thrown in my lap several years ago became a career I really enjoy.

In the HR industry there are a few national certifications that can be acheived. It's a way to be recognized in the industry as one who has a high level of practical experience and knowledge of HR practices, laws, etc....all that boring stuff that the rest of you probably don't care to know. When I learned of the PHR certification (Professional in Human Resources) I really wanted to get it. Why? You ask. Pretty much because I'm weird like that.

In my previous job I worked so many hours a week that I never had time to prepare for the test. In my current job I don't work quite as many hours but there always seemed to be something going on that would make me push the PHR certification to the side. But early this year one of my coworkers told me she was going to take a class to prepare for the PHR test and asked if I wanted to take it with her. I was about 6 months pregnant and decided if I didn't bite the bullet and try for the certification now, I would probably never do it! So I signed up for an 11 week class, studied and studied, studied some more and then took the test on May 6th.

Let me just say...this is NO easy test. You have to have a certain number of years' experience in the profession before they will even allow you to take the test. And it isn't one of those where you spend several days memorizing things just so you can regurgitate it on the test and then forget it once you walk out of the testing center. The test relies heavily on the practical experience you should already have and incorporates all these crazy hypothetical situations where you have to apply everything you know.

BUT...

I'm proud to say that I passed! It's official. I am now
Emily Cunningham, PHR.
Here's the official certificate I received in the mail:

And here I am almost 9 months pregnant and SOOOO glad that I have tackled this project now before my life will be forever changed by this little "thing" growing inside me! I'm sure Clint is super happy this test is behind me now as well. Because I was nothing but a stress ball as I studied for the exam. And he was so incredibly supportive through the whole thing! Gotta love having a husband like that!

2 comments:

fauxy said...

Emily, seriously, I'd rather get a root canal than even think seriously about the course and test for that title. YOU ARE AMAZING! I know from experience you are incredible at your job. And while some of us (me for example) are too lazy to work hard to achieve additional certification (or a 4 year degree for that matter) you are determined and get the job done! CONGRATULATIONS!

Kristi said...

Congrats! It doesn't surprise me at all. :)