Food for Thought


---------------------------------------------------------------
It is better to trust and be disappointed once in awhile than to distrust and be miserable all of the time.

-Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Green Thumb

For many years I have wanted to be a good gardener. Every year I try but I'm just not very good at it. All the indoor plants I have owned have died and my attempt at petunias in the front yard last year was abysmal. Which is why I haven't even tried to attempt a vegetable garden. But this year, my ward announced they had some small garden boxes available at a stake property for vegetable growing. So, without thinking, I raised my hand and said I wanted a box.


The very skilled and "all knowing" Brother Hemmert (as I now believe him to be) contacted me about my garden box and I shamefully admitted that I know nothing about growing a garden and that I was willing to give up my little bit of land to someone better suited for actually growing something. He assured me that he would help me get things going.



So I bought some plants and planted items last night.



My reasons for blogging about this is that I thought if I maybe had some accountability to others about my progress with the garden that I might make a better effort at making sure my plants don't die. So for the many readers out there that I know follow my blog (ha ha) here are my first pictures:
This is my garden box. Ready for my plants!



Here it is after I planted everything. I planted a little salsa garden: green bell peppers, Anaheim peppers, jalapeno peppers, red chili peppers, garlic, cilantro, green onions, and tomatoes. Brother Hemmert also had some extra broccoli plants so I added one of those as well.


Wish me luck! I'll try to post some more pictures as things start growing...I hope!

3 comments:

fauxy said...

I think vegetable gardens are more resilient than regular gardens so you'll do fine. But then again, what do I know, this year is my first attempt at my veggie garden too! Wishful thinking?? :) Keep us informed on the progress, I'm attempting mini pumpkins, yay!

Marcus and Amy said...

Awesome! We are trying our luck with a tomatoe plant this year. You will be glad you did it though, especially with produce prices going up!

Marcus and Amy said...

Errr....tomato is what I meant!